Fwd: [Lubuntu-admins] 15.04 - Installation Experience

Sun Apr 26 21:31:48 UTC 2015

On 04/26/2015 02:54 PM, Brendan Perrine wrote:
> On Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:18:08 PM UTC, Aere Greenway wrote:
>> I know it successfully wrote the GRUB-PC bootloader to the hard-drive
>> of the machine being installed-to, because that system worked fine,
>> and the new system is the one that is initially selected in the GRUB
>> menu (it used to be a different system).
>>

> If you have bootloadaer install problems with disks I find I sometimes
> don't expeirence these problems. This can also happen if you have a
> desktop with many disks in it but then again you may want a custom
> setup if that is your usecase. I don't really think my mom would come
> home from the store with a desktop with 3 disks inside it.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1431067 describes
> one such problem I had but could never reproduce this with manual
> partitioning. A recent jupiter broadcasting podcast from Fridat
> suggest thsi might be more widespread and may also affect 14.04 in
> which case getting this fixed for 14.04.3 will be really ncie since it
> is long term support and what I would want most new or non technical
> users on anyway.

Brendan:

All of my machines have multiple partitions, and I always do manual
partitioning.  The USB drive itself (in this case) has only one
partition, but often (not in this case) I create USB drives with an
additional partition, which the USB drive system can access (as well as
other systems), and read/write files from/to.

If it hadn't successfully written the GRUB-PC boot loader to the
hard-disk (of the machine being installed-to), the other old system
partition (Lubuntu 14.01.3) would have booted by default (the top menu
entry in the GRUB menu).

The partition GRUB is last written-to becomes the system that boots
by-default, and the newly-installed system became the top entry of the
GRUB menu.

I have not (before 15.04) experienced the case where the USB drive
becomes un-bootable after installing from it.  I have used USB drives
for installing in several prior releases (though I started using
Unetbootin only with 14.04 and 14.10).

--
Sincerely,
Aere