Fwd: [Lubuntu-admins] 15.04 - Installation Experience

Sun Apr 26 16:06:41 UTC 2015

All:

Lubuntu 15.04, in my test experience so far, is a very good release.

I have encountered no problems in my MIDI music testing.  Also, graphics
chips that were poorly supported (or not supported at all) in 14.10,
work perfectly now.

In 14.10, the challenging music (many parts) played using Rosegarden and
Qsynth, would encounter occasional drop-outs (under-runs).  In 15.04,
there were no drop-outs at all, even on my 450 megahertz (very slow)
machine!

On that machine, Rosegarden showed 100% processor utilization, and
Qjackctl showed 77% Real-Time usage.  The Rosegarden window would only
update its position in the sequence intermittently, but despite that,
where was not a single drop-out.  I am extremely impressed.

On my Sony Vaio laptop, which all prior levels of Linux didn't use the
entire width of the screen, now uses the entire screen, so I am
upgrading both Linux partitions on that machine to 15.04.

Also, my HP-Deskpro (with Intel 815 graphics) now works (where with
14.10 it booted to a blank screen).

The alternate install ISO worked, though it did not get wireless working
(prior Linux levels failed to get my wireless working on the alternate
install as well).

The only problems I've encountered (please watch for these, so we can
identify the cause) are as follows:

I am using a Lexar 16 GigaByte USB flash drive, created using UNetBootIn
(the StartupDiskCreator utility created flash-drive failed to boot, as
usual).

On older machines (ones needing to use the PLOP CD to boot from USB), it
would not boot unless I first booted Linux with the flash drive plugged
in (automatically mounted), and then did a re-boot (with the startup CD
then in the drive).  When done that way, the USB drive would boot the
system.

Newer systems didn't have that problem.  They would just boot from the
USB drive (when specified to do so).

The USB drive (with additional software installed using persistance),
worked fine when booted on a variety machines (including the 450
megahertz machine).

But whenever I used that USB drive to actually install a system, the
boot sector (?) got corrupted, and I had to re-build the USB drive in
order to use it again.  In my observations, it appears that installing a
system is what corrupts the USB drive's boot sector.

Please reply back with your experience so we can identify the cause for
sure.

Again, Lubuntu 15.04 is an excellent system.  Congratulations to all who
worked on it for a great success.

- Aere