Lubuntu + MATE? Compatible? or issues?

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:46:18 UTC 2015

Aere:

I believe you are correct, possibly on all fronts . . . but particularly on
the "official" release of 14.10.  I might have been lulled into submission
on the belief that this MATE 14.04 PPC spin was "LTS" . . . and it might
be.  The Ubuntu part of it should be LTS . . . clearly the MATE part of it
is "STS" . . . .  Such is the life of the PPC acolyte . . . wandering from
powerpc.iso to powerpc.iso in search of something fairly up to date to run
the machine that is still running and able to get the basics covered.

Over in my MBPro I've had numerous LM versions and out of a fair number of
installs the MATE flavors have been the most stable, so I went for it on
this one . . . I'd be a little happier if it was just the MATE DE part that
imploded, but it seems to have reached over to the Ubuntu part and trying
to stack a new DE on top didn't get it passed the problems.  I'm going to
boot up the Lu 14 desktop and give it a test . . . might fiddle with a
"netboot" installer while I'm at it . . . the installs don't take too long;
it's getting all the details arranged that takes the time . . . wifi . . .
browsers . . . sound . . . .  Big sucking sound on time spent when the
system breaks . . . .