No provision for printing pictures under Lubuntu 14.04?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Apr 7 16:54:46 UTC 2015

I can't find much information, but I think that the original Print
command, kprinter, was part of the kdeprinter package, which is not
installed and not in the repos.

Despite what I first reported, lpr will work.  The computer I was on
when visiting, a Dell Dimension 4300, may have an issue with
hot-plugging the USB printer/scanner.  (For instance, though I didn't
get to test it properly, it seemed that scanning would only work when
the scanner was powered on during boot.)

However, I'll make the case that commonly expected behavior is for a
Print dialog to appear, which of course doesn't happen with lpr.
Granted, there is a counter-argument for maximum lightness.

And now that I'm back on my usual current Lubuntu desktop, I notice that
the context menu for a picture file also includes Shotwell Viewer, and
choosing this opens the file in a lighter variant of the Shotwell
interface.  The Shotwell Viewer interface includes File: Print, which
opens a customary Print dialog.

As I noted in my original post, I installed Shotwell after realizing
that there was no default photo management app, and Shotwell seemed to
be the commonest recommendation, though Andre Rodovalho posted in this
thread that he is using a non-repo version of Fotoxx.  He says there is
an older version in the repos.

I realize I'm saying that in a couple ways, default Lubuntu is a little
too light for my taste (no photo manager, image viewer doesn't print).
But MtPaint printing should be fixed somehow in any case.