Games - downloading but not appearing

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Tue Apr 7 14:12:05 UTC 2015

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 09:54:06 +0200
From: Steven Duckworth <literati69 at gmail.com>
To: lubuntu user list <Lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Games - downloading but not appearing

Having looked through some of the old arcade games available from Lubuntu
Software Centre, I have successfully downloaded 'Open Invaders' (a good
remake of the classic Space Invaders), plus a couple of chess games,
etc.... However, on downloading 'Pong2' I can't find it. It appears as a
download in the Software Centre and in Synaptic Package Manager, but
doesn't appear on the Lubuntu menu drop-up list under 'Games'.
Does anyone know where it may be accessed, or how to open it?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Usually,to find any "lost" apps (not just games), you'd go to /Menu -->
Accessories --> LXTerminal/ (or Ctrl+T) and type: *gksu pcmanfm*||. View
as [if necessary, change from Places to] Directory Tree and navigate to
/usr/share/applications. There would normally be a shortcut to whatever
app you're looking for here.

In this case though - you're right. It doesn't exist (I downloaded it
from Synaptic just to see). So, you can create a shortcut yourself. You
said you downloaded a couple of chess games, so I'll use Dreamchess (the
only chess game I have already) to copy and change.

While you're in /usr/share/applications, right-click Dreamchess (or some
other chess game that appears in the menu) and open with Leafpad.
Immediately save it as pong2.desktop.

The following is step-by-step everything to change. Or, skip to the end
and just copy and paste what's there.

Delete the first line (if there is one) above [Desktop Entry] as this is
unnecessary. Change the line Name=Dreamchess to Name=Pong2 and the line
below it from GenericName=Chess game to GenericName=Pong game. Now,
either delete GenericName[fr]=Jeu d'échec (unless you're comfortable
speaking French) as this too is unnecessary. Change Comment=a 3D chess game
to Comment=a pong game. Change Icon=dreamchess to
Icon=/usr/share/pong2/background.png (Pong2 also doesn't come with an
icon, so we're using the background image that came with it here).
Change Exec=dreamchess to Exec=/usr/games/pong2 (because that's where
this game lives) and finally change Categories=Game;BoardGame; to
Categories=Game;ArcadeGame; Save (close all the little triangles if you
feel the need), change view to Places if that's how you're comfortable
viewing files and close ("X" out of) the File Manager. Close ("X" out
of) LXTerminal.

You should now see Pong2 under Games in the menu.

The pong2.desktop entry file (shortcut):

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Pong2