Putting website shortcuts on the desktop in Lubuntu 14.04 LTS

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:07:28 UTC 2014

For everyone else here, this is a copy of a script I sent in a private
e-mail to Pierre...

#!/bin/bash
WEBSITE=("torios.org" "duckduckgo.com")
NAME=(ToriOS duckduckgo)
ICON=(www-browser firefox)
for ((i=0;i<2;++i));do
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=firefox ${WEBSITE[i]}
Icon=${ICON[i]}
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;
Name=${NAME[i]}" >> ~/Desktop/${NAME[i]}.desktop
chmod a+rx ~/Desktop/${NAME[i]}.desktop
done

To add more entries,
edit
WEBSITE
NAME
ICON
and change the for loop
the current script has 2 websites, so:
for ((i=0;i<*2*;++i));do

if you have 4 websites, names and icons change it to 4...

make the script executable and run it :)

NOTE:
If you have 4 websites you must have 4 names and 4 icons
If you use the same icon for each one change the script
*
from:*
ICON=(www-browser firefox)
*to:*