LibreOffice under Lubuntu

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Fri Sep 26 16:31:00 UTC 2014

On 25/09/14 19:36, Rafael Laguna wrote:
> No offense. Just I'm listening too much lately that Canonical repos has
> "modified" apps and that's not true. If some doesn't work we can blaim
> the dependencies, of course.
>
> But don't worry, my "designer honor" is intact :D
>
> Cheers!
>

> Rafael Laguna
> Lubuntu Artwork Team
>
> On jue, 25 sep, 2014 at 6:57 , Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com>
> wrote:

>>>  Hi Peter,
>>>  if all other applications work just fine, then I would think that the
>>>  issue is that the website's package is missing some essential
>>>  modifications that the Ubuntu packagers make so it 'just  works' in the
>>>  Ubuntu derivatives.  I'd suggest you try the repo version and see if
>>> the
>>>  issue is still present.
>>>  Otherwise, you might look for a PPA for the program, as there are most
>>>  likely specific modifications that need to be made to the packaging for
>>>  Ubuntu.
>>
>> That's a good thought. Next time I fire up the m/c in question I'll give
>> the repository version a try.

Just to knock this issue on the head; I tried the version in the
repositories (a rather old 4.2.6.3) and encountered the same problem so
it looks like a graphics card problem, despite all other text-using
programs functioning well. These include Abiword, Leafpad and of course
the X terminal.

Interestingly it's only the text in menus and dialogue boxes that is
affected. Creating a new Writer document supports text input within the
document!

Peter HB