LibreOffice under Lubuntu

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 00:56:54 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 04:38 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 24/09/14 21:56, Israel wrote:

>>> A shot in the dark, but I encountered some odd effects vaguely like
>>> that on a machine with a video card that was not fully supported
>>> anymore.  In short, this could be a video driver issue.  But if so I
>>> think it likely that you would see some other effects outside of
>>> LibreOffice as well.  If such things *only* occur in LibreOffice, then
>>> the cause is probably elsewhere.
>>>
>> Hi Peter,
>> I agree with John, it sounds like a graphics card issue.  Did you
>> install LibreOffice through the normal channels?
>> I too am running 14.04.
>> When I run:
>> apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
>> I get:
>> libreoffice-writer:
>>   Installed: 1:4.2.6.3-0ubuntu1
>>   Candidate: 1:4.2.6.3-0ubuntu1
>> So I have 4.2 rather than 4.4  so You may have a strange version installed.
>> I suggest installing Libreoffice from the repos.
>> sudo apt-get install libreoffice
>> or find it in your graphics package manager of choice.
> Thanks for the suggestions. I always install the "real thing" from
> libreoffice.org as I lack confidence in the repos' modifications to the
> designers' intentions. However I must apologise for the typo; the
> current version is 4.3.1, not 4.4.
>
> As suggested above, it could be a graphics card issue, but all other
> programs display just fine.
>
> Peter HB

Hi Peter,
if all other applications work just fine, then I would think that the
issue is that the website's package is missing some essential
modifications that the Ubuntu packagers make so it 'just  works' in the
Ubuntu derivatives.  I'd suggest you try the repo version and see if the
issue is still present.
Otherwise, you might look for a PPA for the program, as there are most
likely specific modifications that need to be made to the packaging for
Ubuntu.