Basil's question (move home to separate partition and restore working system)

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Sat Sep 13 10:00:18 UTC 2014

Hi Israel,
No problem with the new thread, Just wasn't expecting to see my name up in
lights so soon in life...

Your suggestions were probably good, but I had this problem with 20GB
spare to hold 3 versions of a 30GB folder... I followed up the links which
were again addressing a slightly different and "easier" problem, namely
how to shift your /home partition at or after installation. My problem is
however how to "capture" an existing /home on that is already on a
different partition. But by pursuing the downlinks I found some
interesting stuff which after testing out I may be able to summarise for
some other coutios user. It did not get as far as telling me how I could
do what I wanted to do safely.

So I did some selective trimming and clipping and backed up /home to an
already full external drive and copied a carefully selected portion to the
LXLE partition so I could use Opera without extreme contortions, hence I
am able to reply to your email.

Then I tried to install Lubuntu 14.04.1 "over" the failed installation,
with preservation of /home. The installation failed in the last 5% of
"Restoring previously removed packages", i.e. right on the last lap of the
installation marathon. There was a warning that the desktop manager was
not working. The installation booted, to a black screen with a conky. I
could get a terminal window by right-clicking on the desktop, and
presumably could have replaced the faulty or missing desktop manager with
a command or two if I had a bit more insight. I repeated the attempted
installation with Lubuntu 12.04.3 and with LXLE14.04, with exactly the
same results. So I am concluding that in that /home that my greedy eyes
are fixed on, is a poisoned desktop manager which I don't want to be
accessed by my working LXLE installation on the small partition.

So my problem has changed; all the installation DVDs have good desktop
managers as evidenced by fault-free live runs, but already on the hard
drive partition in probably the /home is a vicious evil desktop manager.
How can I destroy this dragon that guards Sinbad's cave full of software
jewels and my precious archival data?

Best regards,

Basil