Lost my GUI in 14.10

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 20:33:10 UTC 2014

Hi Henk,
So, if I understand you
Lubuntu cannot enter the Destkop, because it cannot start the xserver.
Xubuntu fails to start the Xserver, but can start it from terminal.

Is this correct?  The issue may still be the display manager since
Xubuntu does not start X automatically.  However there is a possibility
that Xorg in Utopic has changes that make supporting your card
difficult.  I wonder if there are any xorg or xserver updates since you
downloaded Lubuntu.  I think someone with more understanding of the
entire display process of Linux needs to jump in here...
But...  keep an eye on the updates, and see what packages come in an
either fix or break the machine.  I may set up a VM to test this, but I
have some other stuff going on right now that is taking up a lot of time :)