Roadmap proposal for Lubuntu 15.04

Pierre Gobin lubuntu at pierregobin.fr
Tue Oct 28 17:15:21 UTC 2014

Le 28/10/2014 16:11, Julien Lavergne a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Since we have more people involved in the development of Lubuntu, and
> more people are interesting to join, I would like to recreate the
> blueprints we had some releases ago to organize the work for this
> cycle. You can find them under
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/topic-v-flavor-lubuntu
>
> The main question is the switch or not to Qt with LXQt. Sorry to
> disappoint you, but I don't have an answer now :-)
>
> On the Qt side, LXQt is usable, and it's progressing nicely. But it's
> far from being a complete desktop. Also, on some points, it's far for
> being feature complete with the gtk part (the panel and the file
> manager are 2 good examples). I also made a prototype recently, and it
> shows that there is a lot of work to make it suitable for average
> users.
>
> On the Gtk side, many components have been updated recently, and work
> continue on the panel. Also, small features are added. However, we
> still depends on gtk2, we don't know how long it will be supported.
>
> As the answer is not obvious, I created 2 blueprints for both sides.
> The idea is to keep maintaining the Gtk part (with consist on bug
> fixes, sync and merging packages from debian). I think the workload is
> minimum to keep the gtk side in good shape. However, we can start to
> estimate the work we have to do for the Qt side, and start to work on
> it. Alpha images can be generated using the same way I done it, based
> on the daily PPA, or on the official repositories, to have an idea of
> the result of a Qt port.
>
> All the blueprints are under
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/topic-v-flavor-lubuntu
> (see at the bottom of the blueprint for the ones you want to comment /
> modify), feel free to add your comment or the work items you think we
> have to do (I'll do the moderator on them). If others teams want to
> work like this, I can help to setup the blueprint. If several people
> are interesting, we can have 1 or several meetings, on IRC or using
> the UOS support to discuss all of this.
>
> Any comments are welcome, thanks in advance :-)
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

Thanks for opening the discussion.

In my opinion, it would be interesting to switch as soon as possible to
LXQt, even if it means a few regressions.

Indeed, it would allow to make more tests with LXQt if it is the default
desktop environment on Lubuntu, in the idea to prepare a solid LTS
version for 16.04.

With the reduced support delay (9 months), no LTS versions are more for
advanced users. For the average user, Lubuntu 14.04 is there.

Let's take advantage of our 14.04 LTS version, and accept regressions in
a short term, in order to prepare a solid LTS version with LXQt in a
middle term.

Regards,

Pierre Gobin