WIFI connectivity issues with WPA2 enterprise and Lubuntu 13.10 and up

Marc Tremblay mtremblay at lbpsb.qc.ca
Thu Oct 23 18:34:42 UTC 2014

Good afternoon,

We have been converting our older fleet of desktops and laptops to Lubuntu and Ubuntu at our school board and the process has been going well but I have ran into a strange problem. For us to get connectivity on our laptops and Netbooks we are forced to use version 12.04 LTS of Lubuntu in order to get a WIFI connection. We have the same issue if we try to use kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, or Ubuntu. Any version newer that 12.04.4 will not allow us to connect to our WIFI network.

Here are the setting we are using:

WPA2 Enterprise
PEAP version automatic
Inner authentication: MSCHAPv2
CA certificate: none

When I upgraded one of the laptops from 12.04 to 14.4 it did however keep the WIFI connectivity but I really don't want to have to do an install of 12.04 and then upgrade to 14.4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Marc Tremblay
Educational Services Dept
Lester B. Pearson School Board