How to reconstruct GRUB for 14.04 on MBPro?

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 16:11:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 2:43 AM, <lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Hey Fritz,
>
> >From the live cd you will need to mount the drive and chroot into it (or
> at least this is how I'd do it on a non mac)
>
> so it will be something like (be sure you have the right sda device  use
> fdisk -l /dev/sda to list some stuff)
>
> mount /dev/sda/*X*//mnt
> mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
> mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
> mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
> chroot /mnt
>
> this will then take you into your installed system
> then run:
>
> grub-install /dev/sda
> update-grub
> exit

@Israel:

Thanks for that data, bit of a scramble this morning, but I'll check into
it when I can find a few minutes . . . .  Still wondering why I would need
the install CD or "chroot" (still don't know what that is) . . . when I can
still boot into the 14.04 system . . . after using SG2 to boot it up.  Then
I can use the Terminal and all that stuff . . . it just won't show up when
using the option key . . . or in rEFInd . . . .  Back to you later when
I've tried some of this stuff out.  I read through the links you provided
yesterday, and some of that, about using the "GRUB command line" might also
help out . . . .  Or, nuke and pave???? remains to be seen.