New Lenovo Netbook (broadcom wireless)

J. Van Brimmer jerry.vb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:31:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
> I forgot about the option of using ethernet during install to detect and
> install the needed drivers :)
> I have had issues where sometimes it installs the packages you indicate,
> and those cause issues with the wireless.
> I usually install the b43 packages instead, but I am glad those work
> well for your computer!!
> According to:
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
> your card may be fully supported.
> However if the bcmwl drivers work, use them :

Hi Israel,

Indeed, you are right! I didn't see that site before. I was just going by
the info in Synaptic, which doesn't match that site. So, I tested it.

Running Lubuntu right now, I removed these packages with Synaptic:

bcmwl-kernel-source
broadcom-sta-common
broadcom-sta-source

Then I installed:

b43-fwcutter
firmware-b43-installer

As soon as I disconnected the cable I had a wifi connection!