Putting website shortcuts on the desktop in Lubuntu 14.04 LTS

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Thu Oct 2 08:17:48 UTC 2014

On 09/30/2014 11:10 PM, Marc Tremblay wrote:

> Good morning,

Hi :)

> I work for a school board in Montreal and we are finally shifting over
> to open source software for our older computer labs using  Lubuntu
> 14.04 instead of windows 7. The performance between the two is
> incomparable and schools are saving up to 15 000$ by converting to
> Lubuntu instead of purchasing new hardware.

This is really great to know. I wish the world can read this :)

> Our teachers have been working with us on this and one *big request*
> is to put shortcut to web sites on the desktop. I thought this would
> be a simple request but I am unable to find any information on how to
> do this. Can anyone help?

Are we talking about a shortcut on the desktop for: Google, Yahoo,
Twitter, etc so that the user does not need to open the browser and
search for the website not click on the bookmarks but rather, just click
on the shortcut on the desktop? is that what you are asking?

The quickest way is to add any website as a bookmark on the Bookmarks
Toolbar.

This might work as a workaround until you confirm your request :)

I am the founder of: StartUbuntu Project:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu

The convert at the school is very much a StartUbuntu activity and we
always ask people to follow such example. We would be glad if you could
join StartUbuntu as well.

All Ubuntu Official flavors are part of StartUbuntu!

> Thanks
>
> Marc Tremblay
>
> Educational Services Dept
>
> Lester B. Pearson School Board