Stop "dbus." startx, update/upgrade errors?

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:02:59 UTC 2014

From: Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com>
> To: lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Stop "dbus." startx, or self sabotage?
>
> Hi again Fritz,
> The other solution I use a lot for these types of issues is to move my
> ~/.config directory to a backup
> mv ~/.config ~/configOLD (or whatever name you like)
> you can also move the .cache directory in the same way...
> then copy things back that you need (like mozilla folder)
> Hope this helps :)

@Israel:

Frying pan, meet fire . . . I tried all those suggestions, except mv .cache
. . . got into recovery and did the dpkg and fsck and the update etc . . .
seeing errors "could not resolve 'ports.ubuntu'" I thought maybe the
network connection is busted . . . ran the enable networking mode . . . saw
something about "dbus" . . . "numerous "cannot add port tty/tty P20" lines
. . . .

running fsck:  dev/sda 4: Ionodes that were part of a corrupted orphan
linked list found" "run fsck manually (w/o -a or -p options)" . . . [have
not run fsck manually yet, if I knew how to]
This list of errors ended with "skipping mounting / since Plymouth is not
available"

So, numerous issues seem to have been found . . . typing this in Guest
session . . . obviously the network is "connected" . . . trying to log in
to my user account just results in Catch-22 cycle of log in windows . . .
.  Thinking about the history, since I'm using an newer apple keyboard I
need to hit "fn" before the keyboard commands will work, so I don't think I
inadvertently executed a command that did this, I'm under the possible
belief that update/upgrade added something that caused a problem with the
system??  Final clue???  In the pre-splash along with the i2s error is the
radeon errors, "unable to find BIOS ROM"???  but again, able to get to log
in window, or log in as Guest?