Configuring sound output on Lubuntu 14.4

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 18 19:07:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Marc Tremblay <mtremblay at lbpsb.qc.ca> wrote:
> We are testing Smart Notebook Software for Smart boards at our school board
> on Lubuntu 14.4. Everything seems to work quite well but we are unable to
> get sound from the USB speakers on the smart board.
> Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. On windows machines we would check
> the sound settings and choose the appropriate device for sound output. I’m
> not sure where to find this in Lubuntu?

The sound settings are not contained in some handy-dandy little GUI
app. I think that's pretty much the final frontier for Lubuntu at this
point. Or at least one of them. That's probably good for the computer
labs since the kids won't be able to crank up the music too loud ☺ You
can get to the sound settings by using `alsamixer` in terminal.

If that doesn't fix it, give us the output of `lspci -vvnn` and we can
make sure the right kernel driver is being used and otherwise Google
for other problems people have had with that particular device ID.

--
@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA