Blank screen after bootup Lubuntu 14.04

Tue Nov 18 16:52:30 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 08:55 AM, Adrian Blake wrote:
> Using Lubuntu 14.04. After a software update/reboot yesterday could
> not access my desktop. Can still access the GRUB menu. How can I get
> my desktop back? I want to back up my files before anything else
> unexpected happens!
Adrian:

If the live-CD will run (or a live-CD of a prior level) will run on the
machine, you can access the files on your hard-disk, and copy them
somewhere to save them.  I have several times rescued files from a
non-bootable system that way.

You could use gparted to even re-size a partition and create a partition
from the freed-space, though re-sizing introduces an element of risk.

A high-capacity USB drive, or a USB external hard-disk would be a good
place to copy things to.

You won't be able to use the CD/DVD drive to copy-to if you're using it
for the live CD/DVD.  Of course, a live-USB system would make writing to
CD/DVD an option.

--
Sincerely,
Aere