Good news - Dell Dimension 2400 - Intel Graphics (also Dell DX-1100 Intel Graphics)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:59:13 UTC 2014

On 11/15/2014 04:02 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 11/15/2014 11:53 AM, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm refurbishing an old Dell Dimension 2400. Whilst it has other,
>> non-lubuntu, issues, I can confirm that the GUI is fine. Details:-
>>
>> Dell Dimension 2400
>> 768MiB RAM
>> Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
>> hostname banks
>> Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL, kernel module i915
>>
>> BW,
>>

>> Ian
>>
>> --
>> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
>> -- Free Software page -
>> http://contactmorpeth.wikispaces.com/SoftwareToolkit
>> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
>>

> All:
>
> I posted this information for bug #1385920, but it may be useful for
> this e-mail list to see it.
>
> The problem with the Dell DX-1100 machine is a different problem from
> this one.
>
> Some release later than release 12.04, the Intel graphics on this
> machine performed poorly (jagged graphics gradients, a.k.a. tearing),
> and even the Java Web-Start (IcedTea) logo window failed to work on
> 13.10 & 14.04.
>
> Because of this, I took steps to use a different graphics card (a
> NVIDIA geForce 6200), in place of the Intel graphics that appeared to
> have been abandoned by Linux. Where the Dell DX-1100 machine has no
> AGP port, I used a PCI version of the NVIDIA card. To make it work, I
> had to set the BIOS to do "AUTO" graphics card selection, rather than
> using the on-board (Intel) graphics.
>
> That worked, and I have been using it for some time. However, that
> particular machine I have been using for my 12.04 LTS system testing,
> so I stopped testing newer systems on it.
>
> In collecting more information regarding this problem, I discovered
> that the Lubuntu 14.04 live CD system would not boot on this machine,
> which was a big surprise, since I thought this was only a problem with
> 14.10.
>
> In experimenting with this machine, using different system levels, I
> discovered that if I used the Intel graphics card (setting the BIOS to
> use the 'onboard' graphics), the 14.10 live USB systems would not only
> boot, but that the problems with the Intel graphics have been
> corrected. I tried this with both Lubuntu 14.10 and ubuntuMATE 14.10,
> both of which worked with no problems (as long as I didn't try to use
> the NVIDIA PCI graphics card).
>
> That was indeed a very pleasant surprise, for which I would like to
> thank the developers profusely! The Intel graphics _has not_ been
> abandoned, but is now supported, and has been fixed!  So I can take
> out the NVIDIA card, and everything will now be fine (well, I had a
> bit of a struggle getting my Windows partition to go back to using the
> Intel graphics, but I succeeded).
>
> I do still have the problem of the Lubuntu 14.10 live system not
> [...]

Hi Aere,
Are you booting from a CD/DVD or did you boot from a USB.
There have been some issues with the new syslinux that I just recently
started looking into.

It is related to what Eric was dealing with trying to respin the ISO.

I do not think it is possible to use the usb-creator to make it.  This
may have changed since then...  however Nio has a great tool called
mkusb that should work to do it, if I understand the problem correctly,
as his program uses dd

Of course if it is a CD/DVD then this is obviously not the issue. :)

--
Regards