Request help respinning 14.10 w/Black Lab Image Creator

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 01:54:13 UTC 2014

On 11/13/2014 06:55 PM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 05:07 PM, John Hupp wrote:
>> On 11/13/2014 4:53 PM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
>>> To whomever may be able to provide some insight;
>>>
>>> Black Lab Image Creator (BLIC) 1.5 has NOT been tested with Lubuntu
>>> 14.10, but I'd like to continue using it to make  Lubuntu respins if
>>> I can. Starting with BLIC's predesessor Remastersys; I have
>>> successfully made the C4C Lubuntu ReSpins based on 12.10, 13.04,
>>> 13.10, and 14.04. But, while trying to use Black Lab Image Creator
>>> 1.5 with Lubuntu 14.10 I get the following error early in the
>>> distribution build process:
>>>
>>> cp: missing destination file operand after
>>> ‘/home/blacklabimage/remasteredsys/ISOTMP/isolinux/’
>>> Try 'cp --help' for more information
>>>
>>> The distribution build process continues and the iso seems to be
>>> produced as normal. However, after burning the iso to DVD and
>>> attempting to start another (32-bit) machine from it, I never even
>>> get to my custom splash screen. I get the error;
>>>
>>> failed to load ldlinux.c32
>>>
>>> I believe the ldlinux.c32 file is created from contents I've always
>>> edited; isolinux.cfg is where I change the text of the splash screen
>>> (splash.png) to our own and remove options to start the install in
>>> low graphics mode or live. It seems that the error I get while first
>>> starting to boot a 32-bit machine from CD (DVD in this case) means a
>>> file called vesamenu.c32 failed to be created in
>>> /home/blacklabimage/remasteredsys/ISOTMP/isolinux/ and therefore
>>> failed to make it onto the iso.
>>>
>>> I went back and used Black Lab Image Creator 1.1 to respin Lubuntu
>>> 14.04.
>>> The vesamenu.c32 file is created and contains exactly one line:
>>> žþLÍ!üè
>>>
>>> There are other options for a non-programmer like me to respin
>>> Lubuntu. However, I have grown quite fond of this particular method.
>>> If anyone can help me figure out what changed/why this no longer
>>> works I'd be very grateful.
>>>
>>> Eric Bradshaw
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>> God Bless,
>>> Computers4Christians
>>> http://www.Computers4Christians.org/ <http://computers4christians.org/>
>>>

>> I haven't got the first thing to offer by way of a solution or
>> insight, but this is a topic I have been interested in.  So maybe you
>> can help ME instead!
>>
>> When you say, "There are other options for a non-programmer like me
>> to respin Lubuntu," what options were you thinking about?
>>
>> I have seen references to Distroshare Ubuntu Imager
>> (https://github.com/Distroshare/distroshare-ubuntu-imager) and
>> Systemback (http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/) as
>> Remastersys alternatives, but I have not tested either of them.  I'd
>> be interested in anyone else's experience with them or other
>> alternatives.
>>
> By George, I think I've got it! The new isolinux has a couple of extra
> [...]
Hi,
There are a multitude of ways to do this.
The way I do it is with a homemade script.
This way I can control every single aspect of what is installed and how
things are configured.  This is extremely useful for OBI (one button
installer) instead of Ubiquity as the installer.  I am also optimizing
things for the lowest-end hardware.... i.e. installing on a machine with
128MB ram rather than 384+

If you are interested in it, I'd be glad to share!  I based it off of:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch
the main change I made was making the chroot part into a separate script.
I copy that into the chroot, and then run
sudo chroot "$CHROOTDIR" ./mychrootscript.sh

where "$CHROOTDIR" is the path to my chroot
and ./mychrootscript.sh is the name of the script to do all the chroot
stuff, like install packages, and configure things.
I am currently trying to build for PPC also using qemu... but I am still
in the very early stages.

Jörn also has a script to custom make ISOs which use the Ubiquity
installer.  So his work might be more beneficial... it came from
Ubuntu-GNOME (if I remember right).

There is no graphic interface to making a script, but with a little
optimization (caching the deboostrap into a tar file, and copying the
debian archives outside the chroot) you can build it multiple times and
test it without having to re-download tons of things.

And there is the debian scripts that you can install...  live-build
http://live.debian.net/manual/current/html/live-manual/installation.en.html
but that has quite the learning curve :)
Though that is probably the most official route to take I suppose.

P.S. I just recently got the other iBook setup to build packages :)  And
tested it out!  Getting closer!!!!