Success: PPC 14.04 with the wifi

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 17:51:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 4:00 AM, <lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On 11/01/2014 03:24 PM, Boris Reinhard wrote:
> >
> > Almost there Fritz,
> >
> > you will need to run
> >
> > firmware-b43-installer
> >
> > the legacy one is for oder cards, yours is one of the newer Airport
> > extreme cards.
> >
> You might need to remove the legacy installer, and then possibly
> re-install the newer installer.
>
> For me, with the installer (even both of them installed), when I
> re-booted my machine with one of the indicated chips present, the
> wireless started working (I could 'see' the wireless networks).
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Aere

Done deal, thanks to all for the help . . . just a few hiccups along the
way . . . e.g., synaptic removing "fw-cutter" along with the "legacy" . . .
but then erroring out of the fresh install of "b-43" . . . due to "broken
packages" . . . and then re-installing "fw-cutter" . . . when I ran the
install command in Terminal.

Anyway, wifi is "operational" . . . and 14.04 provides nice GUI . . . mixed
in with various oddities to keep it interesting . . . like "suspend" works
while logged in . . . but doesn't work from upper right power button when
logged out . . . .  : - )