Starting Firefox from Synaptic link generates 'Profile Missing' error - known bug?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri May 30 16:09:57 UTC 2014

In Synaptic under 14.04, if for a selected package you click _Visit
Homepage_ from the description pane, this generates the error:

    _Profile Missing_
    Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded.  It may be missing or
    inaccessible.

FF starts just fine standalone.

I have not explored widely to see if other app links suffer from a
similar problem.  Recently I clicked on some link somewhere in Gimp and
got this:

    _help-browser Message_
    Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS.

I have not been able to duplicate the Gimp problem this morning (can't
remember what I clicked on).

But are these manifestations of a known bug?