14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sat May 17 19:36:02 UTC 2014

On 5/17/2014 2:57 PM, brendanperrine wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 14:37:38 -0400
> John Hupp <lubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>
>> Some fresh experiences today:
>>
>> I booted the laptop, manually ran just "update-notifier" from the
>> terminal (and yes, I did forget to add " &"), and Software Updater
>> appeared almost immediately to offer a big batch of updates.
>>
>> Rather inexplicable, but running with it just to see what would happen,
>> I rebooted without installing anything, added update-notifier to Default
>> applications for LXSession: Autostart tab, and rebooted again.  The
>> update-notifier changelog indicates that it is supposed to poll every
>> 180 seconds.  For good measure I gave it 10 minutes, but Software
>> Updater did not appear.  I rebooted 10 times and waited 10 minutes each
>> time, all with the same no-show results.
>>
>> I also booted the desktop on which I installed 14.04 a couple days ago.
>> I did not manually run update-notifier but instead set up the
>> update-notifier workaround in Default applications for LXSession.  I
>> rebooted and *Software Updater almost immediately offered 140+ MB of
>> updates*, which I installed.
>>
>> Back on the laptop, I gave it an Ethernet connection and rebooted 5 more
>> times, waiting 10 minutes each time.  Still no updates offered.
>>
>> I removed the update-notifier entry from Default applications for
>> LXSession: Autostart, pulled the Ethernet plug, switched the WiFi back
>> on, and rebooted.  I ran "update-notifier &" from a terminal and waited
>> 10 minutes.  No results.  I did this 5 times.
>>
>> Then I did the same as above but ran "dbus-launch update-notifier &"
>> instead.  I did this 3 times with no results.

>> The only hypothesis I can see from the above is that
>> update-notifier/manager will offer the updates once (per day?), and if
>> you don't install them it will not offer them again.
>>
>> Could this be?
>>

> I think in software and updates from the menu is set to check daily by default.

I see that now, and that may be the simple and good explanation for what
appeared to be bad behavior.  Though update-notifier runs as a daemon
and polls every 180s, it is update-manager that actually offers the
updates, so clearly there is some mechanism between them (which I have
asked about here before).

Software-properties-gtk (aka Preferences: Software & Updates) is
supposed to "manage the repositories that you install software from,"
and its manpage describes it simply as a software sources list editor,
but via its Updates tab it also seems to govern update-notifier/manager.

Since it cannot be set to check more often than daily, it looks like
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to confirm whether it works, but I'll
manually add update-notifier back to the Autostart list.

If that succeeds, then there really is no deep problem, only the problem
with /etc/xdg/autostart that also affects nm-applet, etc., for which we
have the workaround (and for which a true fix is in the works).

Thanks, Brendan!