14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sat May 17 18:37:38 UTC 2014

Some fresh experiences today:

I booted the laptop, manually ran just "update-notifier" from the
terminal (and yes, I did forget to add " &"), and Software Updater
appeared almost immediately to offer a big batch of updates.

Rather inexplicable, but running with it just to see what would happen,
I rebooted without installing anything, added update-notifier to Default
applications for LXSession: Autostart tab, and rebooted again.  The
update-notifier changelog indicates that it is supposed to poll every
180 seconds.  For good measure I gave it 10 minutes, but Software
Updater did not appear.  I rebooted 10 times and waited 10 minutes each
time, all with the same no-show results.

I also booted the desktop on which I installed 14.04 a couple days ago.
I did not manually run update-notifier but instead set up the
update-notifier workaround in Default applications for LXSession.  I
rebooted and *Software Updater almost immediately offered 140+ MB of
updates*, which I installed.

Back on the laptop, I gave it an Ethernet connection and rebooted 5 more
times, waiting 10 minutes each time.  Still no updates offered.

I removed the update-notifier entry from Default applications for
LXSession: Autostart, pulled the Ethernet plug, switched the WiFi back
on, and rebooted.  I ran "update-notifier &" from a terminal and waited
10 minutes.  No results.  I did this 5 times.

Then I did the same as above but ran "dbus-launch update-notifier &"
instead.  I did this 3 times with no results.

The only hypothesis I can see from the above is that
update-notifier/manager will offer the updates once (per day?), and if
you don't install them it will not offer them again.

Could this be?