[Feedback] Lubuntu and StartUbuntu on Real Life

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Fri May 16 20:06:28 UTC 2014

Dear Lubuntu Community,

I do hope you will not misunderstand this email. I'm doing a favor
actually or let's say I'm helping by investing time to write this email.
Feel free to accept this as a feedback from many users or free free to
refuse it - your call :) I'm just a messenger so don't shot me!

StartUbuntu:

StartUbuntu in real life:

My record for 2013:
http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01/report-project-convert-my-neighbours-to.html

Out of 16 machines, 6 have Lubuntu

My record for 2014:
http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-report-project-convert-my.html

Out of 33 machines, 10 have Lubuntu.

Total number of machines with Lubuntu: *16*

Yes. All the installations of _*49*_ machines are done by me only. I do
everything from A-Z and just give the laptop back to my neighbors, that
is all. They do absolutely nothing except start using it.

_*Please note:*_
ALL the users/owner of the 49 machines are super new to GNU/Linux and
have never used it before. Only very few families heard about it
(example: the husband heard of it while the owner of the machine - the
wife - has not).

Out of these 16 machines which have breathed Lubuntu:

1 user couldn't use it at all - most likely now she is back to Windows.
1 user has it on Notebook (11 inch) and he is facing this problem:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2014-April/007333.html
1 user had many issue : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182281
and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2192715 - laptop is useless
now.
1 user is having some hardware issue with her machine - very old machine
and Lubuntu was the only choice.
1 user was having problems to install another language and couldn't do it.

Total: 5 out of 16

Those who have called or send me asking for help and reported some
issues. Haven't heard from the rest because they're so busy but I do
hope all was okay with them.

I'm NOT going to compare the above with the rest of my installations
(Xubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME) unless you ask for it. I'll be more than
happy to provide that if you wish.

I shall do my best to write more in depth review about my overall
experience with this project (StartUbuntu in Real Life) as mentioned here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174725&page=31&p=13025174#post13025174

I just want to send this simple feedback, I hope it will be helpful
somehow :)

What I want to say is as a summary:
I have contributed to Lubuntu for 2 years -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Lubuntu-Team - and I know about it
maybe more than some other people on this list. That is not my point, my
point is ... I know how good Lubuntu is ... I know a lot about it and
still learning more every day ... but I also know ... SADLY that Lubuntu
is not really for every user and to be more accurate, those super new to
GNU/Linux. Why? because of some bugs that we, the more experienced users
have no problem to live with it AND fix it either by reporting bugs and
follow up with the developers, workaround or fix that ourselves. But for
a new user to a system that he/she never ever heard nor tried? I'm so
sorry to say Lubuntu is not 100% work out-of-the box for them and not
the best choice.

Please don't take this as a negative feedback. Lubuntu is a great system
but it needs extra more work to enhance/improve the user experience.
Again, such feedback is not based on single story, it is based on 49
different stories so far :) and these are real life stories, not on the
Internet :)

I'll be more than happy to provide more information in case Julien is
interested. If not, I shall say no more and that is the further point I
will discuss in this email :)

Again, I'm 'still' trying to do my best to support Lubuntu Community as
much as I can while I can ... I hope you appreciate that and understand
where I'm coming from. I have so much in hand at the moment and have
zero time for such emails but I do love this system, I can't stop helping :)

Thank you for reading!

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad