Question from a newbie about backup software and more

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Fri May 16 08:26:04 UTC 2014

Hi Basil,

1. I think you can reach more helpers for resizing and backing up
Windows at the Ubuntu Forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org

2. But I'll start helping here ...

I don't know what happened, so that you cannot resize the Windows
partition (with NTFS file system I assume). Maybe you are not closing
Windows (but hibernating), maybe the are errors in the file system,
maybe you made a dynamic partition.

Use 'Windows tools' to fix Windows and Windows's file system. Then you
can change its size.

I think you might fail to restore Windows from a backup to a smaller
partition. It is better to decrease the size and make a second backup
(keep both backups if possible).

It is probably possible to make recovery disks now. It is worth trying.

-o-

I don't think there is a dedicated Lubuntu tool for backup. Use a
general tool, either a Windows tool or a linux tool. Do you want a
complete image of the drive? Or 'only' backup of the personal data
files, or something in between?

See these links about backup

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

Best regards