14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed May 14 21:22:15 UTC 2014

On 5/13/2014 6:40 PM, brendanperrine wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2014 17:39:52 -0400
> Dale Visser <dale.visser at live.com> wrote:
>
>> I may be seeing this as well on my two Lubuntu 14.04
> Also I think this may be a related issue but if I do update and then have a kernel update then the reminder to restart your computer does not come up.

OK, I found out that the first problem is that update-notifier is
supposed to launch from a shortcut in /etc/xdg/autostart -- the same
location that nm-applet is supposed to launch from.  But it is well
known that nm-applet fails to launch from that location under 14.04.  In
fact, nothing will.  See Bug 1309698 - Lubuntu does not handle
/etc/xdg/autostart
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxsession/+bug/1309698>

If one employs the same workaround as for nm-applet, manually adding
update-notifier as an autostart app, then update-notifier appears as a
running process.

*BUT*, I have not yet been prompted to install any updates.  I
understand that update-notifier is supposed to poll for updates every
180 seconds.  So whatever was at work in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1046563
(starting with 12.04) seems to be failing here still.

Some of the Ubuntu-related servers seemed to be out of commission
earlier today, so maybe that comes into play also.

I see that some people have gotten results with update-notifier.  I
don't know what may be different here.  This is on a laptop, so some
default settings may be different than for desktops.

On another point from my original post -- the difference between updates
offered by update-manager vs. apt-get -- I found out that update-manager
respects the Phased Updates mentioned earlier by Dale Visser, and
apt-get (and Synaptic) do not.  They will offer everything that has been
released.  See bapoumba's post at Software Updater not notifying
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2222325&page=5&p=13018620#post13018620>,
though I don't know which of his three references he is drawing that from.

@BrendanP: update-notifier is used to issue the reboot reminder, so that
is a related issue.