Overhead in 14.04 Comparing Xubuntu and Lubuntu

Mon May 12 03:45:45 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 10:08 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> Xubuntu Results:
>
> After booting, and signing-in, it takes a long time for the icons to
> appear on the screen.  The CPU-graph applet on the task-bar stayed at
> 100%.  When the icons finally appeared on the screen, the CPU-graph
> applet finally went down to 83% usage, with no windows active.
>
> I started up a terminal session, and ran a "top" command in it. That
> showed that the Xorg process was using around 64% of the CPU (it
> varied between 63% and 66%, but most often near 64%).  There was some
> percent going to the CPU-graph (and System Monitor applets) in the
> task-bar, but not anywhere near as much as the Xorg process.

All:

I have a few more observations and ideas on what might be causing the
graphics overhead on Xubuntu.

First, Xubuntu (or UbuntuStudio) performs much better on a machine with
a graphics card that can perform graphics acceleration.

Second, on the machines without graphics acceleration, on Xubuntu, the
mouse-pointer is constantly 'flickering', as if it is being re-painted
over and over again, as fast as the CPU can re-paint it, even when the
mouse pointer is not moving.  This 'flickering' of the mouse pointer
does not occur on machines with a NVIDIA card.

--
Sincerely,
Aere