Lubuntu 14.10 and after

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun May 11 21:27:38 UTC 2014

On 05/11/2014 10:11 AM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Time to start thinking about 14.10, and after. The future of LXDE
> (gtk2+ part) is uncertain, as only a few devs are currently improving
> the code (and the work is focused on the panel and the file manager)
> with an LTS behind us, we have the possibility to make massive changes
> without the fear of having support problem. However, migrate to Qt and
> LXQt for 14.10 seems too much optimistic :
>
> - LXQt is in alpha stage, and we are not even sure there will be no
> breakage in the future (see next point)
>
> - LXQt is Qt4, and it's migrating to Qt5. I don't think we should jump
> into the Qt4 version, if we are going to break things again when
> migrate to Qt5.
Hi,
I agree with all that!
GTK2 is not going to be around for ever... so there will be some
migration that has to happen soon.  Qt, or GTK3.... Qt runs on phones
(and has a HUGE developer base) seems to be the smart choice for
longevity (KDE was the first DE on GNU/Linux if I remember right)

> - Pushing all LXQt into official repositories will take time. Without
> them, no real and official ISO testing will be possible. Usually, we
> have to set up this things for Alpha 1, to have time to make
> adjustments. For now, A1 is out of the target, even with Qt4 version
> of LXQt.
>
> - After the LXQt migration, we have to change most of our applications
> to have Qt ones. It needs time to discuss, compare, test and integrate
> them. We have to change 80 to 90 % of our seed …
>
> - Migrate from Gtk to Qt for the theming is not the easiest thing to
> do … We need time in this area too.
>
> For those reasons, I don't think migrate to Qt for 14.10 is a good
> idea. I'll propose this plan :
>
> - For 14.10, keep the gtk part and update packages only.
Using GTK for 14.10 sounds the most stable for all the users.

> - Preparing the choice of default Qt applications
>
> - Releasing testing ISOs with Qt packages (outside the official Ubuntu
> building system).
Can we test for PowerPC too?

> - Work on Qt5 with LXQt people
>
> - Push LXQt Qt5 version into official repositories
>
> - Look at the state of LXQt + our default applications choices and
> make a decision after 14.10 release.
>
> Any comments on this ?
I think 14.10 should be testing for the updates to the LTS (the GTK
packages).  And in the background work and migration could be ongoing
for LXQt.  LXQt, can be released as another package for the desktop
session, and users can test whatever state it is in at that point.
Realistically LXQt is in the Alpha stages right now, so it should not be
pushed as the default session yet.  It may reach a Beta stage by the
time 14.10 arrives.

> Regarding 14.10, we need a release manager as both phillw and me are
> not going to be fully available for this (for different reasons). The
> release manager is in charge of delivering the final ISO, by doing
> mostly QA work, and coordinates the work of different people according
> to the schedule.
>
> If you want to participate in this area, please send phillw and me a
> mail with a description of what you will do as a release manager of
> Lubuntu (it's like a job interview, be convincing :-)) Also, it's not
> necessary a 1 people job, we may take several people for the help).
> It's also an important part of the release process of Lubuntu, that's
> why it's not open to everyone.
>

> Regarding the Qt migration, LXQt packages are already available in
> https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+archive/lubuntu-daily You have to
> install lxqt-metapackage. They are build directly from git, so be
> prepared to various breakages. If you have problem using them, feel
> free to ask on the mailing list.
Can you build a PowerPC build of the Lubuntu-testing packages? It would
be good to have the dailys and the artwork as well for us PowerPC users
that like to break things... though the current hw-detect and
snd-aoa/powermac bug is super annoying.
> Regarding the change of default applications, I'm preparing blueprints
> to discuss every topics, please don't create any extra topics until I
> finish the initial ones (I have aprox. 30 topics to set up …). You can
> monitor https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lubuntu-brainstorming/qt-migration
> for the progress. Please wait those blueprints before starting the
> flow of discussion on the audio player and the webbrowser ...
Agreed!  I will suggest again that testing some of the Ubuntu touch
apps, might be beneficial here, as they are all Qt5, and will further
merge efforts of coding.  Adding QML app support can make development
easier (or porting)... but testing will have to be done regarding memory
consumption using qmlscene (which hasn't been ported to powerpc... I
have wanted to test it for this very reason).

--
Regards