LiveDVD testing--iBook G4--updates

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Sun May 11 18:18:41 UTC 2014

Gents:

Again booted the LiveDVD of Lu 14.04 from 4/18/14 on the G4 iBook 933 MHz
with 646MB+- something like that, RAM. . . looking to check up on someones
suggestion here to try to set >Prefs >Appearances >Visual effects to >none
. . . as a fix for the rough/slow window dragging issues.

I used "live-powerpc video=radeonfb: 1024x768-32" and that gets me to a
clear 14.04 splash window, but then takes me to a low resolution desktop
wallpaper.  The windows are readable for the most part, with some caveats .
. . in terms of the "Visual Effects" item, that does not exist in
Preferences . . . at all, so no adjust is possible to set it to none.  The
window dragging issue didn't seem to be as bad today as the last time I
booted the same DVD, but it wasn't "fast" either . . . .

Trying to launch "openbox config manager" did not work, and the
"Lightlocker settings" just brought a window frame, with nothing in it . .
. .  So, still kinda a mixed bag for 14.04 on the iBook . . . .

F/e.e.p.