Display Serious Issue with Lubuntu

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Fri May 9 16:36:07 UTC 2014

On 04/28/2014 09:56 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> On 04/28/2014 10:03 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
>> I'm afraid that didn't change the fact the window is huge compared to
>> the size of the display which is really really pain and as I
>> explained, while I can live with, the newcomers I'm converting to
>> GNU/Linux using Lubuntu will not be happy at all.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> P.S.
>> There should be nothing to be pressed by default. Logically, the
>> window should be auto adjusted to the size of the display. I have no
>> idea why Lubuntu can't do that?!
> Ali:

Hello Aere and everyone :)

> Be aware that the application has control over the preferred, maximum,
> and minimum dimensions of the application window.  In resizing a
> window, it will not allow you to re-size it smaller than the minimum
> screen dimensions.

I'm not 100% sure yet that you and others understand what I'm talking
about - maybe a screenshot? or that is not needed? :D

Thanks a lot, I'm aware of this but the problem is, I just can't see the
bottom of any big window because I can't resize it to the point I can
actually see the whole window.

> Often, developers (having fast machines, and large-screen monitors),
> forget to think of users with less-capable machines, and small monitors.
If that is true and if you want my honest opinion, this would be
seriously bad :D
I mean, if they expect to present the best software, they 'should' think
of each and every possible case. To me, it seems they have totally
forgotten about the notebook with 11" inch screen :/

> If the application (perhaps from lack of thinking by the developer)
> sets a minimum size which won't fit on a netbook screen, the
> application just can't be used on such a netbook unless they have
> another monitor they can connect it to, that meets the window
> dimension requirements.

If this is true, this is really really bad and if Julien does not share
a word in this regards, a side from reporting a bug, I should stop using
Lubuntu when I convert people ... I guess I will use Xubuntu even though
that would be a slower machine (a bit) - I don't think Xubuntu is so
slow anyway, I love it.

> I am not aware of an operating system being able to scale an
> application window to fit a screen (though my not being aware of it
> doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

My dear friend, this should be a 'basic' and 'default' feature in each
and every system. I'm still stunned that Lubuntu fail to do it :(

> An example of this I am familiar with, it that my main application
> window will not fit on the netbook's screen.  The minimum system
> requirements I have, clearly state the screen dimensions required, and
> the netbook's screen doesn't quite conform in the vertical dimension.
>
> Yet, I can use that application on the netbook, by using the Alt-drag
> trick, positioning the window so that all of the important controls
> are visible.  On Windows (on that same machine), I can't use my
> application at all, because I can only reposition the window by
> clicking and dragging on the title-bar.

With MS Windows, IIRC, each time you change the resolution of the
screen, the applications/windows will be smaller as well. With Lubuntu,
it seems different case.

I haven't tested Xubuntu for example on that machine. Not sure if I have
time to do that but I guess I can always run it from the LiveUSB and
test it.

@Everyone
Any idea against what package should I report this? because it seems
emails are useless and the best way after all is to report a bug ;)

Thank you!

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad