Play DVD's

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu May 8 20:20:22 UTC 2014

On 5/7/2014 9:39 PM, Israel wrote:
> On 05/07/2014 12:58 PM, John Hupp wrote:
>> Playing DVD's is on my functionality checklist, and when I insert one
>> under 14.04, all I get is a prompt to open the DVD in the file manager.
>>
>> I would like it to automatically open in Gnome MPlayer (or VLC, if
>> that is a better choice for DVD's) and either start playing the movie
>> or else give me a menu.
>>
>> Reading up on the task, it looked like I needed to install libdvdcss,
>> so I opened the terminal to /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4 and ran:
>>      sudo ./install-css.sh
>>
>> But inserting a DVD still produces the same prompt to open in the file
>> manager.
>>
>> Manually opening MPlayer and choosing File: Disc: Open DVD with Menus
>> doesn't work either.  I can choose File: Open Location and paste in
>> the DVD path, and that starts the movie, but half of the credits and
>> such are in French rather than English.
>>
> Install
>
> vlc
>
>   it will work extremely well for DVDs, and every other kind of media you
> want to use it for (music/video/network streams etc...)

I have always had a high opinion of VLC, but it installs a lot of
QT-related dependencies under Lubuntu.

Nonetheless installing VLC seems like a good workaround if Gnome Mplayer
is not currently up to the job.  But at the project home at
https://code.google.com/p/gnome-mplayer/ the overview begins with:

    A GTK2/GTK3 interface to MPlayer. The power of MPlayer combined with
    a friendly interface for your desktop; You can play all your
    multimedia (audio, video, CD, DVDs, and VCDs, streams etc.),
    organize, sort and create playlists, take screenshots while playing
    videos, be notified about media changes. Full DVD and MKV chapter
    support, when supported by Mplayer.  ...

Then I found that gnome-mplayer suffers from a known DVD-playing bug, at
least under Lubuntu: Gnome-Mplayer cannot play commercial videos
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/+bug/1248194>.  (You
can go there and click that it affects you.)

It seems to me that this should have been included in the Release Notes.

So I installed VLC, and it works.