On Lubuntu 14.04, No Wireless on 2 machines that wireless worked on 13.10

Thu May 8 20:06:46 UTC 2014

Pierre & Nio:

I tested several things.

First, I selected (from the main menu) "Preferences"..."Network
Connections", which brought up a configuration tool that allowed me to
successfully configure my wireless network.

The nm-applet in the task-bar (inserted by right clicking on the panel)
shows the connected network, but it is the version (without
root-permissions) that can't do anything useful.

But the network worked, and I was able to install Lubuntu 14.04
successfully.

On re-booting the installed system, there was no wireless because of the
lack of the b43 installer package.

So to get network access to install the b43 package, I plugged in the
wireless dongle, and used Nio's method (running from a terminal), which
put the network applet in the task-bar, and it was the good version, so
I could configure it.

I installed the b43 Installer package, then re-booted.

On rebooting, there was no network applet in the task-bar, so I used
Pierre's method to insert it (and now it appears in the task-bar after
re-boot).

I then downloaded updates, and everything is working fine.

I prefer Pierre's work-around, because it is permanent, and is easier to
document for users than Nio's method.

If this problem is fixed before Lubuntu 14.04.1 comes out (in July?),
will the ISO image downloaded include the fix, or will users have to
work-around the problem for the life of 14.04?

- Aere

--
Sincerely,
Aere