14.04 seems subject to bug 1046563 with update-manager/notifier

bapoumba bapoumba at ubuntu.com
Thu May 8 09:49:37 UTC 2014

Hello,

thanks for the email, I was about to post one.

First off, I'd like to apologize for silently joining the list a few weeks
back. So hello, you'll mainly find me on the forums :)

I've added a few things to the forums thread, and linked the bug report
here https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main
I've also added "trusty" to the title.

Now I'm not that familiar with update-manager (software-updater) and not
sure where to look at to troubleshoot and add useful information.
To me, the biggest issue is the discrepancy between apt-get upgrade and
software updater.

Would anyone know ?

Have a good day !

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM, John Hupp <lubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:

> I don't find the issue in the Lubuntu or Ubuntu 14.04 Release Notes, but
> it seems like 14.04 is subject to https://bugs.launchpad.net/
> ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1046563, reported for 12.04, in which
> automatic updating fails.
>
> I was noticing that I wasn't being prompted to install software updates.
>  I ran Software Updater (update-manager) manually once and got a big batch
> of updates.  I ran it manually again today and it identified another batch
> that I could get.  It included updates for Software Updater, so perhaps
> that will fix the problem.
>
> There is a big discussion of the problem at http://ubuntuforums.org/
> showthread.php?t=2222325. And beyond the notification problem, a number
> of people report seeing big differences between the updates identified by
> update-manager and Synaptic.

bapoumba