Automatically reconnect to hidden Wi-Fi network [Bug reported]

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue May 6 14:58:29 UTC 2014

On 4/28/2014 8:35 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 7:11 PM, Israel wrote:

>>> I should have added that this is on Trusty.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not at my Lubuntu Box right now, so I can't just check... does
>> Lubuntu use wicd or network-manager?
>> I think this bug was solved for network-manager so it should 'just work'
>> You should look in synaptic to see if you have wicd or network-manager
>> installed.
>>
>> If you have wicd, remove that and install network-manager and go from
>> there.
>> It seems to me that Lubuntu uses network-manager though...
>>
>> Also, some wireless cards take a while to connect to a network (a couple
>> of minutes even).
>> One of my computers connects almost instantly.  One of the computers I
>> had, I had to wait and wait and wait, or turn off the wifi and turn it
>> on again to give it a kick start.
>> It was a b43 (broadcom) chipset... so you may just have to be patient.
>>
>> But, this is GNU/Linux there is always a way to get something to work.
>>

> It uses network-manager.

I waited 15 minutes and it still did not reconnect.  So I filed a bug
against network-manager at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1316634.

I note that similar behavior is described in a bug filed in 2008 at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/295796
but I'm imagining that there should be a separate bug filed for the new
release.