Overhead in 14.04 Comparing Xubuntu and Lubuntu

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:24:19 UTC 2014

On 05/05/2014 11:08 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> [...]
> graphics-oriented window moved much more slowly).
>
> With the Task Manager window active, the "top" command running in the
> terminal window showed the Xorg process using around 50% of the CPU
> (it sometimes went higher), but it appeared to be because the Task
> Manager process was using a significant amount of the CPU, and Xorg
> could no longer use as much as it did on an idle system (the total
> can't exceed 100%).
>
> My overall impressions of testing both Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio on the
> 450 megahertz machine is that it is way too slow to be practical to
> use (as might have been apparent if anyone were listening to the words
> I was muttering while doing the testing).
>
> It appears that the excessive overhead is graphics-related.
>
> Interestingly, at one point in testing, things were going very slow,
> and I needed to do something to break it loose, but I really didn't
> want to terminate Firefox.  I tried 'rolling-up' the Firefox window
> (leaving only its title-bar, which incidentally, was now easy to drag
> around the screen), and things seemed to then move forward in the
> testing.
>
> In my earlier testing on a 933 megahertz machine using UbuntuStudio, I
> had reported (to the ZynAddSubFX developers) that ZynAddSubFX was no
> longer usable on my 933 megahertz machine.  They did some checking,
> and their testing didn't show any significant increase in the overhead
> of their application.
>
> From current results, I am now convinced that overhead is
> graphics-related.
>
> Conclusions:
>
> Given the results in testing Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio (both XFCE
> desktop), I can see why Ali insisted that 14.04 will not perform well
> on low-spec machines.  From what Ali has said, he has been testing
> Xubuntu and Ubuntu-Gnome.  I don't know what testing he did with
> Lubuntu 14.04, and I have not yet tested Ubuntu-Gnome on a slower
> machine.
>
> But my testing of Lubuntu 14.04 on the same low-spec machines (at
> least, the machines I have), shows that the system performs well
> (until you try to drag a window around the screen).
>
> I don't know why there is such a radical difference in the performance
> of the XFCE desktop, and the LXDE desktop.
>
> The Ubuntu Unity desktop performs poorly on my 1.7 gigahertz, 1
> gigabyte RAM machine, though I am able to easily drag windows around
> the screen (it has a NVIDIA graphics card).  My impressions are (I
> haven't attempted to measure it yet) that it performs more poorly than
> Windows 7 on that same machine.
>
> UbuntuStudio on that 1.7 Ghz machine also performs poorly (it worked
> fine in level  13.10), now (with 14.04) it is barely usable.
>
> I think it would be useful for other people with low-spec machines to
> see if they can duplicate my test results.
>
> All of this poor performance is not apparent in fast machines.  It
> only becomes apparent when you test on slower machines.

I (and others) have observed the slow window dragging on low spec iBooks.
It seems to me that installing xcompmgr helped.  If you could test it
and report back that would be helpful, as I might just be imagining a
difference because I like semi-transparent terminals SOOOOO much. :D
It would be a waste of time to try to use (daily) something as heavy as
XFCE on my iBook.  However, I have one that I am going to test
reinstalling Lubuntu 14.04 on soon, so I may try using UbuntuStudio
14.04 (since I already have the ISO) and telling you how it goes.
I fully expect it to be slow.
Unity doesn't perform well on any machines with around 1Gig... I think
you need at least 3 or 4 for it to be a really slick machine.  I can
bare it on a 2Gig, but it isn't as fast as XFCE on the same hardware.
Oddly enough I found Lubuntu and Xubuntu to be about the same on a
machine with that much memory.  The difference shows on machines with
>1Gig.  When you have less than 512 it becomes harder to use LXDE.
around 128 I pretty much will only use jwm, and Slim (instead of
lightdm), as it performs close to Lubuntu on a 512 machine (some apps
still take a looooong time to load)