Lubuntu-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 30

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:26:58 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 03:12 PM, farinet at arcor.de wrote:
> Am 26.03.2014 13:41, schrieb lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com:
>> It means your info is going to Virginia in the US.
>> They (duckduckgo) use a server located there to process your search
>> terms and give you the info you want.
>
> That was clear to me. I was afraid i was dumb and did not understand
> something underlying. Whois said to me the adresses belong to Amazon?
>
> Generally, i might agree that us-based servers could be more privacy
> critical to not-us citizens than let's say finnish or norvegian servers.

To get to Finland for example your traffic will most likely go through
Sweden where privacy is even more of a question.  :(

> So, ixquick would be the better option? Anyway, me too, i find the ddg !
> feature is great (Try to use it with "!ixquick <put your searchitem
> here>" : great! :D).

DDG also operates an onion service, see the bottom of the page at the
owner's blog for the address:

http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/blog/2010/08/duckduckgo-now-operates-a-tor-exit-enclave.html

That would be about the maximum currently available.

Regards,
/Lars