9w - an installer for old computers

Phill Whiteside PhillW at PhillW.net
Sat Mar 8 13:34:45 UTC 2014

As a non-pae machine can address upto ~4gb RAM, it can also be hamstrung by
what RAM is can use in terms of size etc. Making lubuntu for i586 / i486 /
i386 would mean re-making all the applications. Whilst this could be done,
I do not see a market for it. The most recent Dell I converted was a win98
machine and it is PAE compliant. I do not mind whatsoever in looking after
a non-pae kernel and build for people... After all, there are lot more
non-pae machines out there than ppc machines!

I have an updated set of instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/non-pae#The_ISO from Bodhi. He has run out
of time, but will assist as and when I / we get stuck. I also have an extra
guy around to help with iso building.

Regards,

Phill.

--