getting rid of iBus?

Tue Jun 24 20:56:26 UTC 2014

On 06/24/2014 02:16 PM, ∅ wrote:
> it seems iBus (installed by default) is very broken:
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1284635
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1307648
>
> it is so broken, in fact, that Xubuntu has stopped seeding it.
>
> not having the need to use different keyboard layouts, i don't trust
> myself to have an adequate perspective to pass judgement on it, but at
> this point, i'm really feeling like we need to follow suit.
>
> so to you users of different keyboard layouts, can you live without
> iBus? if you uninstalled it, does it still work?
>
> if we can live without it, it sure would be nice to get this done in
> time for 14.10's release, so your prompt attention is most
> appreciated.
>
> wxl

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout (of US English), which is what was
configured during installation.

When I sign-in, that keyboard layout is in-effect.

Occasionally (rarely), I need to switch to Qwerty (for someone else on
the machine).  I use the "Keyboard Layout Handler" applet in the
task-bar to do this, and it works.

I have not had any problems using the above on Lubuntu 14.04.  It works,
and I need this capability.

I don't know if what I've described above uses "ibus".

That being said, if I use the Chromium browser, and try to type a URL
into it, or even type anything into a web-form displayed by it, it acts
as if no keyboard is connected.  Only Chromium has this problem -
Firefox (and all other applications) receive input from the keyboard, in
the currently-selected layout.

I wonder if the above paragraph is a manifestation of the "ibus" problem
you mentioned.

--
Sincerely,
Aere