How to retain native application icons?

Rafael Laguna rafaellaguna at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 13 18:25:55 UTC 2014

What you suggest is impossible in Linux (with an XDG desktop metaphor). You
want to use the original icon designs while using only the mimetypes of
Box. Or do you want to erase the action, panel and other GUI features of
your desktop? That's a really bad idea. If you dislike the Box icons design
you should look for another theme that suits you.

Also, deleting (with superuser permissions) things in the /usr/share/icons
may left unstable some programs that look for them. And yes, some apps like
Firefox, PCManFM and others have their own original icons in the app
itself. But, removing others may cause unexpected effects. I'm surprised
you can run everything, or that you don't confuse items on menus, dialogs,
and so.

My question now is, how do you plan to restore the /usr/share/icons which,
in fact, isn't the only folder used by Lubuntu theme, but for other
applications? Try GiMP, Anjuta or any other complex UI now you've deleted
that, and you may not work anymore with them.

Trust me, don't delete system folders. If you want to use another theme,
download one (www.gnome-look.org).

--
Rafael Laguna
Lubuntu Artwork Team