Good ol' UNRELIABLE Lubuntu :(

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 12:22:27 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 01:11 AM, c. marlow wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> So I accidentally dozed off and went to bed. I LEFT the PC ON.... Just
> turned the screen off.... Just now woke up at 12:30 its now 1:09 AM
> and I decided to check on something. I turned the screen on, moved the
> mouse.... NOTHING.... Screen stayed black and went to sleep. I jigged
> the mouse, started pressing keys on the KB nothing....  I knew it was
> froze up because I could hit CAPS LOCK and the light would never turn
> on, Had to power off and back on...
>
> I am just tempted to go back to windows. give up on this Linux Crap.
>
> Christopher
>
> Im using 14.04

Hi Chris,
I am sorry you are having some issues...  this is very unfortunate.  I
also understand the frustration, because computers can be very frustrating.
I actually had the same frustrations last time I used Windows (Vista).
All OS can have frustrating problems from time to time.
Fortunately this is a community OS, and you do not have to wait on the
phone for hours just to get told that no one can help :)

I have never had this exact problem before... however, I am going to
guess that it is related to your power management issue.

Did you update the BIOS before you installed Lubuntu?  I have had some
acpi problems with a non-updated BIOS.  And also, if you have an AMD
chip, it can help to use the 64bit version, even if your computer has
<4Gig RAM.  I had a 64bit computer with less than 4Gig RAM, that
couldn't use the power management at all when running the 32bit OS.  I
had to add a kernel parameter to even boot.  And I didn't like using it
because it turned off ACPI.

There is a saying in FLOSS: "Use whatever works for you."
You may try using another flavor of Linux before giving up completely on
it.  I find some computers work better with different spins of Ubuntu,
even.  Lubuntu's components are tweaked to run on a more specific
hardware set so it can run fast when no other modern OS will run at all.

We are here to help if you want our help, and want to continue working
toward using libre software.  For me, knowing my OS was libre(free)
meant that I would not let the challenges defeat me.  I have installed
Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Ubuntu on many computers, and faced MANY challenges.
But I become determined, and work through the problem.  I have never not
found a solution.  Some are just harder than others.

If you want our help, we are here!  We are the community, this is why we
all signed up to this list :D