Question

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:14:51 UTC 2014

2014-06-09 18:43, José Burbano skrev:
> I downloaded the Lubuntu 14.01 version to my computer. I am using a
> Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM, but when i  format the hard disk it took more
> than 2 days formating the 80 GB hard disk and still doesn't finish yet.
> Is it normal? is there any other way to take  a shorter time to install
> it?Thank you for your support.
>
> Best regards
>
> Josè Burbano
> Phone 593-99843111
> Quito Ecuador

Hi José,

No it is not normal. Are you using the Lubuntu desktop iso file? In that
case you may have problems because of too low RAM. It might work better
if you try to install from the Lubuntu alternate iso file.

You might also have better luck if you do not install from the desktop
iso file, only 'try' it without installing, and in that so called live
session, you can run gparted and format your drive:

- create a large root partition
- create a small swap partition (1 GB)

unless you want dual booting with Windows XP (which I would not
recommend because it has passed end of life).

Then you can reboot and try to install again (from the alternate iso or
another installer for really low RAM). See these links

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/AdvancedMethods

Your computer will work much better if you can add another 256 MB RAM.

Best regards
Nio