NO way of disconnecting? [[ SOLVED ]]

c. marlow chris at marlows.org
Mon Jun 2 03:21:28 UTC 2014

On 06/01/2014 09:39 PM, Andre Rodovalho wrote:
> Read this page:
> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/fix-lubuntu-1404-network-manager.html
>
> This is how you get nm-applet back...
>
> *sudo nm-applet* is not good, you might have some "privileges" errors...

> <mailto:chris at marlows.org>>:
>

>     On 06/01/2014 07:27 PM, Israel wrote:
>
>         On 06/01/2014 05:20 PM, c. marlow wrote:
>
>             On 06/01/2014 11:57 AM, Israel wrote:
>
>                 On 06/01/2014 10:21 AM, c. marlow wrote:
>
>                     Hello,
>
>                     I am on sat. Internet and I like to DISCONNECT
>                     from the internet so I
>                     know if something decides to run away with my data
>                     while I am not on
>                     the computer, it will not happen because I
>                     essencially disconnect from
>                     the internet.
>
>                     But when clicking on the 2 blinking computer icons
>                     in the tray and
>                     right clicking and going to DISCONNECT nothing
>                     happens, I am still
>                     connected it does not matter what I click on
>                     disconnect, repair,
>                     connect...
>
>                     Is there a work around for this and why does the
>                     icons not work?
>
>                     Thanks,
>                     Christopher
>
>                 Hi
>                 Are you using nm-applet?
>
>                 Obviously (as you surely know all ready) you can
>                 manually disconnect the
>                 Ethernet cable, or if it is wireless and you have a
>                 hardware switch you
>                 can use that.
>                 If you are using nm-applet it should work to
>                 disconnect via the GUI, not
>                 entirely sure why it wouldn't. How are you starting
>                 nm-applet for your
>                 network?
>

>             Hello,
>
>             its just the one thats built in when you log in.... Its a
>             picture of 2
>             computers flashing next to the vol control. I havent installed
>             anything extra
>
>             Christopher
>
>         Hi!
>         Did you have to enable it in the panel in your autostart from the
>         Settings? Or did you add it to the panel?
>         If you added it to the panel I suggest removing it and
>         starting nm-applet.
>         You can open a terminal and type:
>         nm-applet &disown
>         To start automatically it add nm-applet to the autostart in the
>         Settings.. If you need help doing this, we can give more info!
>

>     OKAY.... I tried adding @nm-applet and just nm-applet to start up
>     though the gui but I never seen the arrows icon show up in the
>     tray by the clock until I open terminal and do sudo nm-applet.
>
>     What am I doing wrong?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Christopher
>

>     ==================================================================

Well, Heres what I had to do.... None of that worked on that webpage I
had to do what one of the comments suggested:

Dimitrios Charalampidis
<http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/fix-lubuntu-1404-network-manager.html#>
• a month ago
<http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/fix-lubuntu-1404-network-manager.html#comment-1348963619>

This fix does not work for everybody... if that's the case for you,
too.. then try this: go to menu >Preferences > Default applications for
LXSession, select the autostart tab and scroll to find Network. Uncheck
it and recheck it, then go to your home folder and press ctrl+h to show
hidden files and folders, go to .config/autostart, there you will find a
Network.desktop file right click on it and select Leafpad, it is likely
that under NotShowIn section it includes LXDE just delete it, save the
file and exit, then log out and login again this will fix the issue.

I now see the two arrows. instead of the windows 2000 two blinking
computers.

Christopher

--
~ Christopher ~
chris at marlows.org

**DISCLAIMER:

This email and any files transmitted from chris at marlows.org, and to
chris at marlows.com, are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and
may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you receive
this email in error, please advise me by return email immediately. Please
also disregard the contents of the email, delete it and destroy any copies
immediately. All emails incoming and outgoing are kept for my personal use
and are kept on file and archived away INDEFINITELY.