autostart bug

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Wed Jul 23 06:51:46 UTC 2014

OK, now to reveal the depths of my ignorance...

I am at last ready to update my own Lenovo's Lubuntu 12.04 LTS as
numerously updated (now at .67 or .68, I think) to 14.04 with the initial
deal-inhibitors sorted. I have a bootable DVD with the 14.04 iso which
performs adequately in live test mode and want to do the update/upgrade
 from the DVD, being in the unhappy position of having to pay for every
byte that is downloaded. (And I don't have a hardwired internet
connection).

Question 1: If I follow Israel's advice below, my expectation is that
apt-get will try to source the update from external repository via
internet connection (expensive... and effectively putting laptop and me
out of use for several hours). How can I redirect it to seek from the DVD
drive primarily (I don't mind running a normal update afterwards from
internet, that's just a few extra megabytes downloaded and applied in
background).

Question 2: I know Synaptic allows use of CD or DVD as repository, but can
it use the iso image, or should I decompose this into the multinumerous
participant files?

Question 3: Can I, in fact, do an upgrade from an iso without doing the ab
initio installation process which implies appalling requirements in terms
of backing up, reloading files and possibly re-installing packages? I
refer of course to the widespread lack of an install option to replace the
existing Linux distro with an upgrade thereof, without wiping everything
clean (at the moment my Lubuntu partition alone holds about 800 000 files
and I doubt that more than 100-150 000 are actually included in the
official distro. Such an option might only be used every year or three or
five, but how useful it would be then! Of course, I want to be able to do
it from the iso for exactly the reason most distros are available in an
iso for testing, then installing the new distro if you like it - you don't
have to duplicate the download time and cost. So why not for upgrading
your favorite distro?

Question 4:A little further off the wall but following on the same line:
If I decide to Just Do It and change from vanilla Lubuntu 12.04.??? to
LXLE 14.04, in view of the close derivation, how could I gyp the upgrade
process to make it believe that it is simply doing a straightforward
Lubuntu upgrade? I understand there may be some problems with
dependencies, but am thinking there shouldn't be too many.

Apologies for so many questions, but I think they do combine to give a
clearer total picture of my thinking and so improve the likelihood that
someone will be able to answer me. Even if it is just to say You must be
crazy  or  study the apt-get manual for a few months and let us all know
what you find out.

Thanks in advance,

Basil Fernie