Hiding Shutdown/reboot in logout dialog and possible security issue

Anders Bruun Olsen abo at dsl.dk
Thu Jul 10 14:07:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

Ehm.. a graphical desktop environment is sort of the point of a terminal
server. It provides remote desktops to users. It isn't for running a
graphical desktop on a locally attached screen :)
The issue here is two-fold:

1. If the graphical login-manager (lightdm) is running, all users who login
to a desktop remotely can shut down the entire machine. This is not a good
thing, but can be circumvented by killing off lightdm. This is fine when
you use something like Nomachine, which takes care of spinning up a desktop
session. But with LTSP you would probably run into problems, since it
depends on having a DM handling login and spinning up desktop sessions.
Although lightdm may be intelligent enough to actually know when users are
remote on LTSP, and will refuse to allow them to shutdown the machine
without proper rights. This may be a none-issue for LTSP. I don't use LTSP,
so I can't say for sure. With Nomachine it is an issue.

2. Users can get confused when sitting in front of a thin client running
the nomachine client. They want to shut down for the day and choose the
shutdown menu on their Lubuntu desktop. Here the correct process is to
choose logout and then shut down the thin client when logout has happened.
But users don't usually think about the fact that this connects to a remote
desktop, so pressing the shutdown button in the shutdown menu seems
logical. They want to shut down their local machine. Unfortunately that
button is meant to shut down the terminal server. When that does not work
(they get the "access denied" message), most users get confused and go ask
it-support for help. I just want to prevent this confusion, if possible :)