Startup notify on Lxde

Fri Jan 31 01:53:18 UTC 2014

On 01/30/2014 05:33 PM, Israel wrote:
> On 01/30/2014 04:55 PM, Pierre Gobin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When an app is launched on Lubuntu (and Lxde in general), there is no
>> indication for the user that the app is really launched (no hourglass
>> pointer). This is quite annoying on old computers - the Lubuntu
>> target, on which the launch may be a bit slow. Having no reaction,
>> average user tends to launch the same app several times.
>>
>> I guess I have already seen some discussion about this subject, but I
>> can't remember when and where. As far I remember, this was an openbox
>> bug. Can someone confirm that ?
>>
>> So my question is to know if it is a known bug, or if it is useful to
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pierre Gobin
>>
> That is a great point!
> It might be nice to have some sort of indication in the panel (show
> the icon when the app is first executed, and have the color pulse, or
> something)...
> As far as the mouse/touchpad pointer that seems like it would be LXDE,
> as the configuration app (not the openbox config, but the 'Customize
> Look and Feel') changes the pointer style....  Just a guess though.

Pierre, Israel, & All:

This is something I've noticed, and lived with, as long as I've been
using Lubuntu.  On slower machines, it is more noticeable.  It's not
something I like, yet it's better than running on the Unity desktop
(Ubuntu).

The situation is similar on XFCE (Xubuntu, or UbuntuStudio).

If I really need to know if the application got launched (or not), for a
desktop icon, I left-click on it, and choose "Open" from the pop-up menu.

When clicking on an application in the launcher menu (or the task-bar),
you can pretty well assume it is starting up - just have patience.

If you need to know if it has started (and will eventually appear), you
can fire up the task manager, and look at the list in the "Command" column.

I kind of like the 'bouncy icon' that appears on kubuntu (as if the
application is a happy dog, eager to go on a walk).  Of course, I'm sure
that saps-away your processor power, but at least you know it's launching.