Lubuntu 13.04: EOL due to on January 27th

Sat Jan 25 03:23:53 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 06:41 PM, Iberê Fernandes wrote:
> Friendly reminder: Lubuntu 13.04 EOL (end of life) is due to January 27th.
>
> Suggestion for this weekend: upgrade your Lubuntu 13.04 as I just did.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2014-January/000178.html
>
> I use Lubuntu in a partitioned HD. /home and /swap are separate from /root.
>
> Usually I format /root and do kind of a fresh install of Lubuntu.
>
> This time I decided to just upgrade due to some Lubuntu 13.10 issues
> that everybody is aware of.
>
> Conclusion: for me, this time the upgrade worked better than the kind
> of fresh install I used to do.
>
> If you're upgrading like me, some suggestions before upgrading:
> 1) sudo apt-get update
> 2) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> 3) reboot to have the latest updates online.
> 4) sudo apt-get autoremove
> 5) sudo apt-get autoclean
> 6) sudo apt-get clean
> 7) disable any PPAs that you have added previously
> 8) sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> Wait... take some coffee, go watch a movie... Reboot.
>
> 9) Be a happy Lubuntu 13.10 user.
>

> Best regards,
All:

You can also just apply updates using the software-updater system tool,
after which it will offer the upgrade to 13.10, and you just choose that
option and follow the instructions.  And yes, it does take a long time.

But no need for all those (8) steps (and all that typing).

Years ago, upgrades to a new level were very risky.  But in the last
several releases, I have upgraded, and it hasn't failed yet.  It's nice
to not have to re-install (and configure) all the extra software I use.