Some help is highly appreciated :)

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:54:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Israel <israeldahl at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I was given a laptop with a similar graphics card
> RS482M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
> It was overheating and shutting down in a bad way.
> So I took it apart and cleaned out the ball of dust clogging the vent.
> I then got a little usb powered cooling tray, and I haven't had any
> problems since.

Cleaning it helped to reduce the issue but didn't solve it.

Maybe a cooling tray but that is up to the owner of the laptop (my
neighbor).

> Of course I also installed the laptop stuff as well, like
> laptop-mode-tools
> powertop
> oh, and tlp
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/linrunner/tlp/ubuntu
>
> I use qupzilla for my main browser now (since it starts about 4-7 seconds
> faster than firefox).  It handles most stuff fairly well.  I have only had
> minimal issues, no show stoppers unlike Midori did around 11.10.  It is by
> far the fastest starting browser I have used.

It happens even when the laptop is idle doing nothing. So, I don't really
thing it is a load of a specific software that is causing that.

> So I'd suggest using an external fan after you take apart the laptop and
> clean it out.  And using qupzilla as well as some laptop programs.

Most likely, the best way is to use external fun but again, that is up to
the user of the laptop to decide whether to invest into this old laptop or
let it go.

> The beep sound is most likely one of a few things.  I had an issue where
> my laptop needed the BIOS updated, and after doing so it fixed many
> problems. It could be that your battery is dead and the BIOS checks the
> status of the battery, and if it is empty (or uncharged) it will beep.  I
> had a faulty cord so my battery didn't charge and would beep if it was
> unplugged, and would give an error if it was plugged in.
> I have a power cord that fits most laptops that I use to test computers I
> get, it might be a useful investment for you.
>
> Go check the manufacturers website to see if the BIOS version is the most
> up-to-date version.  If not you may have to install Windows (or FreeDOS if
> you are lucky enough to have a computer that can flash BIOS updates from
> DOS) to update the BIOS.

Install what? me installing Windows? that is not an option :)

> Hope you get it working....

Well, it is working but when the temp is above 50C, the issue starts to
show up :/

Thank you for your email :)

> On 12/29/2013 05:14 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>  Hi everyone,

>  Thoughts? this machine is giving me hard time and I have no time to keep
> trying and trying. This is the very first machine I converted to Linux out
> of 15 machine for my neighbors.
>
>  I am keen to solve this issue. But, I am out of ideas to solve it.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  --
>   Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
> Best Regards,
>  amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>  Areas of Involvement<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
>  My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>