OBI PPC?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 22:20:12 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 01:29 AM, Eric Bradshaw wrote:
> Several issues come to mind when I read you were asking about
> installing Lubuntu on a PPC Mac of that age. After reading what I'm
> about to tell you, you may not be willing to put in the time and
> resources necessary to get Lubuntu on there.
>
> 1. A 900MHz iBook must be a G3 (PowerPC 750fx) processor which could
> put you in a catch-22 situation. The computer won't reliably run Linux
> without updated firmware, but the computer has to be running Apple Mac
> OS 9.1-9.2.2 to be able to install the firmware update. If it's
> running this OS already, the firmware update is a free download from
> Apple.com. If it's not (Go to the Apple menu --> About this Computer
> or About the Mac to see), that's commercial software you'd have to buy
> first. If it's somehow running OS X (10.x - I don't see how on 128 MB
> RAM, but anyway) than this firmware update must have already been
> applied.
It had 10.4 something or other, and all the updates applied... it was
horridly slow

> 2. That Mac can't boot from USB at all. You have to install via CD and
> I would advise from the alternate-powerpc.iso, so be sure you have a
> working CD drive. I believe the model you have is detailed here:
> https://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_900.html
I have been to that link.  It does have a working DVD drive that boots
easily... though I had to reset PRAM to see anything from yaboot

> 3. 128 MB RAM is not enough RAM to install even the alternate
> installer. It may be technically possible, but in my personal opinion
> you'll need double that.
>
> Go to iLinux (or search the Ubuntu forums) and write down the path to
> an xorg.conf file for your model.
> http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf-files (I believe it's either
> powerbook1.txt or powerbook1.txt) you'll need to wget this later.

Actually I haven't needed any xorg conf files... I used Debian Mini PPC,
and have gone about doing it that way

> 4. Always (when it doubt if it's been done - do it) hold down command
> (Apple) + option + P + R at startup before the first chime and until
> you hear a second chime. This "Zaps the PRAM" (Parameter RAM) and
> resets the date and time. This will avoid errors where things are
> being installed "in the future."
There is another way to do this that I used, trying the way you
described didn't fix my black screen issue.  I can't remember exactly
what I did, but I booted into single user mode and typed in a few
terminal commands to reset it.... I'd have to search for it to find it,
but that actually worked

> 5. Insert the Alternate PPC Install CD, restart (or shut off, wait 30
> seconds or so and boot up again) with the Alternate PPC Install CD
> inside the iBook. If the CD comes out, hit the Eject key (top right)
> on the keyboard again. Immediately hold down the "c" key and keep
> holding it until the Alternate PPC Install CD starts up the machine.
> You may have to hold the "c" key down for a while.
yes it worked for me... there is another way that I used to boot as
well... but it involved 4 keys, and I can't remember what it was...
> 6. At the black “Boot:” screen prompt, type: live-nosplash
> video=ofonly[return]. Install Lubuntu, using entire disk when asked
> how to partition. You'll see some "extra" partitions than what you are
> used to - don't mess with them.
Lxde is far to heavy for this computer.... unfortunately  I couldn't get
Ubuntu to boot without some psychedelic colors on my desktop.
I guess this next part is how to avoid that...
> After Installing and Rebooting the First Time
> At the Second Yaboot prompt
> Welcome to Yaboot Version X.X.XX Enter "help" to get some basic usage
> information... boot:
> Type: Linux nosplash video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0[return]
> At prompt, type:
> wget http://mac.linux.be/files/xorg/powerbook1.txt[return]
> At prompt, type:
> sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf[return]
> Type: control+R[return]
> Type: imac-333-trayload.txt[return]
> Type: control+O[return]
> Type: control+X[return]
> Type: sudo reboot[return]
>
> Troubleshooting the install:
> 1. Try resetting NVRAM. Hold down command(Apple) + option + O + F
> while booting to get into Open Firmware.... keep holding those keys
> down and you'll see a white screen with some text and the 0> prompt.
> This will get you into Open Firmware. This should work to get into
> Open Firmware no matter what the OS is on the hard drive - even a
> completely wiped hard drive.
> At the 0> prompt, type: reset-nvram [return] set-defaults [return]
> reset-all [return] The machine should reboot after the last command.
> Hold down "C" to boot from the CD.
Ahh... that is it.  I reset the NVRAM.  I did those commands.  This
stuff should be in the wiki, I suppose...

> 2. If there is more than one OS available (there is already an OS on
> the machine) holding down the option key at Startup should give you
> boot options. If there is the Alternate PPC Install CD in the CD Drive
> - that should be one of the options.
> 3. If you're not able to boot from the Alternate PPC Install CD by any
> other method, try booting from a CD from within Open Firmware. With
> the Alternate PPC Install CD in the drive, hold down command(Apple) +
> option + O + F... keep holding those keys down and you'll see a white
> screen with some text and the 0> prompt. This should get you into Open
> Firmware. Even an iMac with a completely wiped hard drive will open
> Open Firmware.
> At the 0> prompt, type: boot cd:,\\:tbxi[return]
> 4. About the PRAM Battery: If the computer won't hold the date and
> time (even after zapping the PRAM) and you get errors about things
> being installed in the future, you probably need a new PRAM battery.
> The time and date info is stored in the PRAM Battery, which is
> (re)charged by the computer being plugged-in to a wall outlet. This is
> NOT a "button-type" PC battery. The PRAM Battery is a "1/2 AA" 3.6
> Volts and it's a short, fat cylinder witha tip on one end. If you have
> a volt meter to test (it will have to be removed before testing) it
> should show between 3.64v to 3.69v or it's on it's way out. The life
> expectancy of one of these batteries is 5 years to forever if the
> computer is constantly plugged in to a reliable power source. Two
> batteries of this type are the Maxell ER3S LS14250 SBAA02 1/2 AA
> Lithium Battery, or SAFT Lithium 3.6 Volt Battery LS 14250 1/2 AA -
> though at least in the past, there were 5 or 6 different battery
> manufacturers of this type. Some of these batteries will look a little
> different than others; but all should measure the same size
> tip-to-tip. If you don't want to order one online (much cheaper than a
> retail store), you can find these batteries at places like Radio Shack
> and Batteries Plus as long as you describe it with the actual specs,
> and/or bring the old one in to show them. Do yourself a favor and
> don't ask for a Mac or Apple battery; this will only confuse the sales
> person and make it more likely they will tell you they don't carry it.

Yeah that wiki didn't do a lot to help.... it is very vast and only
helped in a few areas.
> There is also this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#Troubleshooting
> and this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2131612
>
> Eric

I actually installed the basic debian with no gui.  I installed xserver
stuff and xorg stuff, slim, rox, and jwm.
it is pretty slick.  It runs much faster than OSX, and it has a modern
web browser (iceweasel... basically rebranded firefox) and access to all
kinds of modern programs.  nothing would run on that machine, and it was
sooooo slow I decided I needed to spruce it back up to life.
I am still figuring things out to make it as close to a modern looking
interface with all the nice things, but using the SMALLEST programs I
can (as you said 128mb is not enough to run much of anything quickly)
So... in the future if you have an old iBook (or anyone) I will give you
a cheat sheet for programs to install from debian wheezy, and how to
setup rox-filer to be awesome. I am basically trying to make an
installed fat puppy linux... but I don't have all the nice tools to make
JWM look nicer automatically, and I don't have the icons for pmount/rox
figured out yet....
I'll let you know how it all goes!

--
Regards