Desperate plea for help with graphics problem

Fri Jan 3 02:39:01 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 05:24 PM, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> Hello.  I downloaded Lubuntu 13.10 today and updated the system
> completely.  I'm running on a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop.  I'm
> encountering a problem with graphics that is not unique to Lubuntu, but
> perhaps can be solved here.
>
> I use Evolution as my groupware client.  Version 3.2.3, that ships with
> many distros based on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, is buggy and annoying.  You
> need to have a distro that runs at least Ubuntu 12.10 in order to have
> the dependencies you need to run later versions of Evolution, which work
> much better.
>
> But later versions of Linux bork my graphics in both Firefox and
> Chromium.  When I try to play a video, say, on YouTube, the video is
> squished and distorted, just maddening!
>
> So, my quandary: I need later versions of Evolution in order to get my
> work done, which require later versions of the Ubuntu software, but
> these later versions seem to really bork my graphics so that I can't see
> anything!
>
> Oddly, VLC works fine.  And I can copy a URL from YouTube, open it in
> VLC, and it works just fine!
>
> I'm so puzzled.  If anyone can help, I'd really be grateful.  Thanks.

Jeffrey:

It looks like your Dell Dimension-3000 has the same memory
specifications as my Dimension-1100:

333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

and it appears that it doesn't have an AGP card-slot (same as my
Dimension-1100).

This, according to the following wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension#Dell_Dimension_3xxx_and_5xxx_series

So it is possible that the PCI-card version of the NVIDIA graphics-card
_/could/_ also work in it.